Saturday 16 March 2013

Last night I dreamed....

I wonder if you remember the opening lines of "Rebecca" by Daphnie du Maurier -"Last night I dreamed I was in Manderly......" and the evocative story unfolds. This is my picture of the house at Rosehaugh (a further back version of the picture Steph put on her blog. )

This is the kind of house you dream about ,all that went on there and the stories that took place.The house and grounds would easily lend itself to a story. I wish I had seen it when I was writing the 'Scent of Time' and the 'Scent of Home.'

A lot of you are far more experienced writers -just as an experiment -How would you start a story set in this house? What would you call the house? Please not 'Chez Nous', some thing evocative, romantic and wistful. Like 'Coramandel' or 'Mistley. Would the hero live there or his true love? What would the owner of the house do ? What 'twists 'in the story could you bring in? You can close your eyes here and hear voices, see a film set .Maybe the story would be set in 1812 the hero going to fight in France or in America? If it was a heroine it may open like this (you all can do much better)
'It had been three years since I had been in Mistley,and my mind ran the tableaux of the wonderful time Ralph and I had spent together .It had been a dream time when I had been surrounded and protected by his love. Now as the carriage drove up the path ,I realised that even over the sound of the horses hoofs I could hear the beating of my heart....and the constriction in my throat as the tall figure of Ralph walked towards my arriving carriage ....." The rest you have to finish
If it was a guy it may be like this

' I knew what had brought me back to Mistley, was Mariann's lovely face and the dream I had had for three long years of holding her in my arms.This time there would be no parting, no stupid quarrel.I rode past the trees where I had first told her I loved only her, and when I came back from the war I would ask her to marry me. Had she waited ?...dear God make it so.  I realized the thumping in my ears was the beating of my heart. Would it be joy or sorrow? As i headed for the door, I knew I would soon know...'
Have fun and enjoy the trip to your creative side.










No comments:

Post a Comment